Friday, April 23, 2010

Why Rrrracccceee???

A couple of weeks ago, someone asked me if I am nervous before races. 90% of the time, the answer is no. For one, I have done all of the training I need to do or could do for that moment. I either will or will not race well, and pretty soon it will be all over and determined anyways, so I just don't think too much about it. I think it may be because I have played so many soccer games- so many. I know how to lose as well as win- it all passes when you leave it on the field. And, chances are, there is another game or race right around the corner! So, generally- little stress and lots of fun.

I said 90%, and of course there is the 10% like an Ironman or a race that I have really planned to be a big time race for my season. In that case, I don't get very nervous, but I do treat the race as a special event and treat the race more seriously.

This weekend is a 90%er. I love these weekends and races! I look forward to them so much! I am heading to Arkansas (my home away from home) to spend time with my aunt, uncle, and cousins. I try to do a few races like this every year- low key, cool venues, and laidddddd back. I get to chilllll with my family, eat all of the candy I want (candy bowls all over the house), and go out to eat (japanese hibachi tonight!). Or, my aunt or uncle do some country cooking- out of this world!
My aunt and uncle's back yard...from the back of property. You an see their house beyond the lake. There is a fishing pier (with fish in the lake), a swimming pool, a huge trampoline, a batting cage, a garden, four wheelers, and 2 great dogs. There is no way you can be bored here.



My uncle Joe's garage toyshop, I mean workshop.

My cousin Nick used his fishing scale to weigh two different wheels for me- we decided to go with the front wheel that was a little heavier (2 ounces), yet more aero. Seriously...like it makes a difference in a 10 mile sprint. ha ha~! we had fun playing around with this.

I never noticed before that my uncle Joe and cousin Nick had an ENTIRE wall of fishing tackle and bait. I asked if they bought out a store going out of business??? The scary thing is, the answer is no.

Here is another wall. I mean, this stuff is all unopened...with multiple of the same thing. Some of the little fake fish lure thingys were $30 a pop!

Nick tried to explain to me WHY the fake fish/bait thingy costs $30. I do get it, though. It is kind of the same logic I use when I dream about those Zipp 808s I want.

Time to hit the candy bowl, go out to eat, and stay up all night with my cousin Anna watching some weird movie, I am sure. Race time tomorrow- sprint triathlon in Degray- time to just race as hard as I can and ENJOY!!!!!
Happy weekend
Oh, did I tell you I am doing a swim meet on Sunday? Scary, I know. Let's save that for another post. :)

1 comment:

runningtwig said...

What a great place to visit - their yard is unbelievable! Good luck in your race!