Monday, February 1, 2016

A Consistent Month

Training was consistent for the month of January.  After spending Nov-Dec battling some sort of bronchitis/atypical pneumonia stuff, I was feeling super frustrated.  I was constantly coughing up yellow and could not turn a corner, even after weeks and weeks of chilling out.  But, it finally went away, and and January ended up being a good month for me as far as getting in daily training.

And it is funny because I always stress when I get sick.  Sinus infections like me a lot, and every couple of years I get some sort of bronchitis that I can't shake.  I get so frustrated, and it always takes more time than I want to clear it.  But then I get through it and wonder why I even stress it.  It just is what it is, especially this time of year for me.

The upside is I actually do rest and take a good off season.  The downside is I feel bummed that I lose all of the consistent run miles that I built up over the summer and fall.  I went from 45-50 a week to 10.  I went from setting PRs, to being super slow.  AHHHH!!!  That wasn't really how I wanted to start my training for my next marathon.

But, by just logging something every day, keeping everything low key, and making sure I had no zeros, I feel like I am heading in the right direction.  Swimming is super consistent for me, and my arms are falling off.  I am enjoying my bike again.  Running is steady.  I am really reminding myself daily that it makes no sense to try to build back to where I was in the fall overnight.  It is not smart, and it is not necessary.  A little at a time will go a long way when done consistently.

Olympic Marathon Trials- February 13, 2016- 2 weeks away.

So, who else is sad that Ryan Hall retired?  Me.  Super sad.  He is absolutely one of my favorites.  I learn so much from him every time I listen to him speak.  Check out Bob Babbitt's latest podcast on him.

Well, at least the announcement of Galen Rupp toeing the line at the Olympic Marathon Trials is  helping to ease my disappointment with Ryan Hall withdrawing.  This is sure to be a great race!

I thought I would post some fun reads on OTQ women, if you are inclined to read about marathons.  These are some interesting women that are elite, but maybe not world class.  Some are moms, some used to run 4:30 marathons, etc.  One of the great things about running is that there is such an opportunity for the average person to improve, at any age, especially at longer distance.  Check some of these women out for inspiration:

Amber Green- Runner's World Interview

Salty Running:  Olympic Trial Coverage:  scroll through here and read all kinds of interviews with different women running the trials

Amanda Nurse:  Running on Om Podcast

Of course I really want to see Angela on that line, and I can't help but feel hopeful that she will attack it again in a couple of years after putting some cycling and swimming into the routine again.  I have a good feeling about her :)

Enjoy your week!!!

1 comment:

Angela and David said...

Glad things are falling into place for you! And I haven't given up hope that I might take another shot, although my body seems to have other ideas.