Friday, January 22, 2016

My Boston Floor

I just had to google the date of the Boston Marathon:  April 18.  Yup, that is how on top of it I am.  Just recently, I realized there was a decent chance I would be able to run the marathon.  I didn't think it was in the cards for me as Dave and I had been focusing on family expansion, and here I am towards the end of January with my same family of 3 (6 if you count the animals).  So, it looks like maybe I will be able to run Boston after all.

So, I booked my spot on the floor of a friend's hotel room this morning.  I promised to split the costs, and a floor is fine with me.  I love that I can roll like that, and thankful that I have friends that let me crash.  

I am now 12 weeks out.  It is really time to get my butt in gear.  I am out of shape.  I am up 10 pounds, and it is not coming off.  Actually, it just keeps climbing up.  I just texted my neighbor to see if I could bring my king cake to him.  I have to really start to buckle down here, and it always seems harder in the winter.  My mileage is barely in the 30s.  I feel kind of screwed, but not beating myself up about it.  

And it is interesting because I thought I was totally fine- like 100% fine- if I didn't run the Boston Marathon.  Maybe it is because the majority of the people I know have run the marathon, so I forget how special it is.  But my husband and mother-in-law both told me they don't know a single person that has run the Boston Marathon, and I would be the only person they actually knew.  It made it feel slightly more special, even though it is just a marathon per se. 

So with that in mind, I am going to see if I can go and use it as a celebration of all of my hard work and the decades of running that have brought me so many friends, travel, and opportunities.  I am not completely sure I will get to run it, but I do have my Boston floor reservation booked just in case!  And honestly, I really hope I do make it there!


My morning run with Bill, a perennial Boston runner.  Everyone bailed on us because of the impending "winter storm," which gave us a slight dusting of snow and perfectly good roads.  I was ready to sleep in too, but Bill wouldn't let me.  I feel the silent push from my friends to get my mileage up.    

No comments: