Thursday, July 9, 2015

Training Check In

I am finally getting fit-ish.  I am seeing progress in some areas, holding firm in others, and not going forward in others.  But, overall I feel like everything is very much going in the direction I want.

I am 9.5 weeks out from my marathon.  I have a 5k and a sprint tri the next two weekends to keep things light and fun, but overall my days are becoming more run focused.

But not TOO run focused, much to the chagrin of my running buddies.  I know they roll their eyes behind my back because I am keeping 2 bikes and 2 swims in my schedule.  It is so hard for pure runners to be anything other than pure runners.  But, I have found that triathlon is not only really really fun, but it also keeps me healthy.  And did I mention that I love triathlon too?

I took this turn around June when I just needed a change.  I had been through a couple of coaching systems since I had Isla, and honestly nothing felt right for me.  I guess I have bought in to Lucho's koolaid for too long, and he was an excellent coach and it was good koolaid.  And while I was willing to open my mind and try new things with new coaches, I realized I just don't thrive in all systems.  And that is okay.   I could expand on this more...maybe another post on coaching.

So I am on my own, and I love it for now.  I can add in the zone 2 runs that haven't been on my schedule in the past 2 years.  I can run more than 15 miles a week (I do not believe low mileage programs work for everyone, and I am not a responder to low mileage).  I can decided when I need to do that quality run or NOT do that quality run based on how I am feeling that day.  And I really think these three things are really important for triathlon and running. 

Mostly I am looking forward to a new challenge, and since it has been years since I have run an open marathon, I am interested to see how I respond as a more seasoned athlete when the miles get tough.

I'll keep the updates coming!




1 comment:

leslie said...

Damie, Did not know you were marathon training. I know someone who is always looking for a run buddy on Sunday long runs... :) We do need to bike together soon. Excited for you !!