Thursday, March 5, 2015

A Step Forward: Little Rock Half Marathon

In my journey of 2 steps forward and 10,000 steps back, I finally starting moving forward again with my half marathon this weekend in Little Rock.  Yay!

Prior to this weekend, I was doing nothing but going backwards.  My last race, although done when I was sick, was still a poor enough showing that I started to feel sad.  I knew the run was not an indicator of where I was in building back my run....or was it?  Truth be told, I just didn't know.  Well, I thought I knew.  I thought that once again, I had managed to make zero progress in my training...in fact, I had even gone backwards and was slower.  (cue world's smallest violin)

And the Little Rock half marathon was here, and I wasn't ready...again.  What do you mean you weren't ready...sandbagger!  Don't you hate it when people say that?  No, for real.  I wasn't ready.  All signs, including the weekly run mileage average of only 23 miles for the past 6 weeks (and even less the 6 weeks before that),  only 2 longer runs of 11 and 13 miles (not even long), and zero tempo pointed to another sub par race.  That is just not the way to prep for a half marathon in which you want to do well.  I was really sad and stressed about it.

Another race with no goals?  Another training day?  No, please no.  Now I have no problem just getting out there no matter how slow or out of shape I might be.  I love to run, and that is not dependent on speed.  But, I think all of us as runners need some races where we accomplish something objective....something more than just having fun.  Of course I always have fun!  But, I also like the feeling of seeing progress or pay off for my work.  I had planned this race with the intention of being race ready, but once again I wasn't ready to answer the call.

The Little Rock Half Marathon is my favorite, though, so I stuck with the plan to run it.  AND, I had the opportunity to run as an ambassador for my favorite bra sponsor, Enell.  I was challenged again to keep a positive attitude about my current race fitness, and I also challenged myself to race the races on my schedule regardless of where my training might be.   
 The best running bras for C cups and higher AND nursing mamas! :) 
I met up with my other favorite mother and friend, Joy.  My morning was a little less chaotic without a toddler around, but it wouldn't be a classic mom day if something wasn't a little challenging, like the fact that my breast pump didn't work.  Thankfully Joy had one and I didn't have to feel completely miserable on my run.  (and thank goodness I run in Enell bras and don't have to worry about anything moving in that area). Once at the race, we did a sub par warm up, put on our garbage bags to shield the rain and cold, and then tried to sneak into the same corrals but got busted.  :) How could the race officials say no to these two friendly girls that just wanted to run together.  Come on! :)
The race started, and I told myself over and over to go slowly and pace very moderately.  If there is one thing that I consider my strength, it is pacing.  I was guessing I would be lucky if I was anywhere near 1:45 or even slower.  I was thinking an 8 to 8:15 min pace would be reasonable.  I kept looking at my garmin and the numbers coming back to me were "too fast."  I kept forcing myself to slow down.  Every mile kept feeling easy....too easy, honestly.  I thought for sure they must be downhill with a tailwind, and once I hit the inclines my "real lack of fitness" would show.  And then I hit the inclines after the 10k mark and my pace was continually getting faster.  Finally, at mile 8 or so, I realized I was running an appropriate pace, as shocking as it was to see 7:30s and 7:20s on my screen.  The hills weren't slowing me down, and I wasn't dying.
Someone under-dressed for their spectating duties...LOVE my baby cousin Anna :)
I saw my family around mile 10 or 11, gave them a big smile, and just kept cruising.  I realized I would hit a post baby PR if I just kept it going, so I really focused on form and turnover the last few miles.  Well, I did until I hit the 10,000 walkers from the 10k that merged onto our course.  Then I spent the last 2 miles dodging people, politely asking them to make room, and accidentally knocking into a one or two.  And while my last 2 miles were my fastest, I couldn't quite get into that place where I really pushed my pace due to the crowd. 
(thanks for the pictures, Aunt Kathy!)  This one is my favorite :)
 I finished in 1:38:49 for a new post baby PR.  (Last post baby PRs were in Nov with a 1:42:22, and 1:42:21).  I negative split each section of the race and felt great.  And as Isla likes to say:  AMEN!

Why in the world was I able to hold a 7:26 pace (according to Garmin as I ran a long course- official pace 7:32)?  2 weeks ago I could barely run a 4 miler at 7:35 pace and I was dying!  I think there are a few reasons.  1.  I was healthy for this race- no sickness in family.  2.  Joy and Jeremy fed me a ton of food the night before, and I slept a full night (1st one of 2015, I think).   3.  I have a lot of fitness to draw from pre-baby, and that is still in there somewhere  4.  I am just a consistent training block or more away from breaking through  5.  I keep getting out there and trying, and I don't let my lack of results keep me from starting  6.  It was just my day to feel good.  Race day luck :)

Nothing till Nola 70.3 besides mom, work, train, house hunt, keep current house from falling apart, and....staying positive and working HARD!  Now we are going to focus on real PRs!

Thank you for the support for this race- you guys are the very best:  Super dad and Spreaglet, The Harwood family, Enell, Breakaway Running, Powerbar, Los Locos, Wattie Ink,

4 comments:

Jennifer Harrison said...

FANTASTIC Damie! :) !!!!!!

Angela and David said...

Yeah!!! You look like you are flying in the pictures.

Laura G said...

Rock on chica!

ADC said...

Finally read this - AMAZING. You are an inspiration to all the mums out there.