Thursday, January 16, 2014

Teams

I get a lot of questions from people asking about the benefits of a triathlon team...and how do you find them/get on them?  If you like meeting new people, finding training and race buddies, having daily motivation, and getting to know new product, then a team may be for you!

Local teams can be a great first step to getting your feet wet with triathlon.  In Memphis, I am on Los Locos Triathlon Team.  We have a great history locally in the sport, and our roster has been filled with Kona Qualifiers (and bowl holders!), Xterra AG World Champions,  Big Belt Buckle holders from Leadville (bike and run), and on and on.  I was asked to be a part of this team back in 2008, and I feel like it has been a great fit for me as I have learned so much from racers with a lot of experience.  Our roster is small and getting on the team is through invite/voting only.  If you are interested in the team, hit me up!  There are other local multisport teams in Memphis:  Thunder Racing, Terrapin Racing, and Journeyman Racing, and I would be happy to point you in the right direction!
 Los Locos Memphis
 
What is the benefit of a local team?  Training partners, drinking buddies, local bike shop and run shop support, and a list of local sponsors that are also friends.

Next, I am on Wattie Ink, which I would consider more of a national type club team as it has members from most states.  The roster is much bigger, and it is also filled with many excellent athletes with  long course focus.  At the head of the team is Sean Watkins and his fiance Heather Jackson.  They are fantastic people and athletes that bring a family vibe to our team.
What is the benefit to being on a larger and/or national type team such as Wattie Ink?  Besides the AMAZING KITS I get to wear, I have met so many wonderful friends, and I am virtually guaranteed to never race alone.  The team also has fantastic, quality sponsors that I am proud to represent, and I receive some really great gear and tools from these great companies.  So, if you are interested in joining a bigger national type team like this, you could currently check out Moxie Multisport.  I believe they are still taking applications.
Wattie Ink
Many teams already have their rosters set, but for 2015 you could also check out teams like Zoot, Power Bar Elite, Betty Designs, Trisports, Rev 3, and Coeur Sports to see if any of these might be good fits for you.  Remember when you apply that you are being an ambassador to their sponsors/program.  It is not about what a team/sponsors can give you, it is what you can do for them!

Finally, another place to join a team is to join one with your coach.  I am good friends with many of the athletes that are coached by Hillary Biscay, and I consider #Team HPB my team as well.  This team provides me with support and friendship.  While there is no sponsorship with this "team,"  I am happy to wear a Smash kit or Team HPB gear anytime to support my coach!  It is a chance to team up with similar athletes under the same coach.  Think this may be something you would like?  Check out coaches that have a team atmosphere with their roster such as JHC, Simmons Endurance Coaching, or CVE.This is a fun way to wear team kits with your peers and really share that team feeling through coaching.
 Team HPB
Do you need to be on a team?  Absolutely not!  Many people have a great time hitting the roads and races solo!  There are plenty of triathletes at races that are not wearing team kits.  You will not be out of place if you choose to do your own thing.  But, if you would like to join a team and need some ideas, I would be happy to help!

Happy training!  And may many more friends walk into our lives for 2014!
 

No comments: