Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Weekend Trail

We had a beautiful but chilly day today, which was perfect for hitting the trails. My Sunday trail run has become my very best workout of the week. I feel at peace with my dogs, the world, nature, my body, and my mind when I jog/hike the trails. 

I love that in the trails you are sheltered from many kinds of external pressure.  No one can watch you run on the winding trails.  Your pace is expected to be slower, thus freeing you from the confines of time.  You don't worry about cars or stop lights, so you can just clear you mind and run.  You can listen to everything....from the rustling of animals to your own breath.  
 
Caya and Roo were pretty pooped at the end of our adventure, as evidenced by her passing out on the console of the car.  They have been sleeping all afternoon, with intermittent wake-up calls to give me some kisses before snuggling back to sleep.  I really continue to try to take advantage of this time with them.  When I am full-on training, I can't bring them running with me so I can focus solely on my run.  This is the perfect time for us to just be a running wolf pack of 3. 
 
Some good stuff today with Heather Jackson (above) winning Escape From Alcatraz.  May we all feel this type of joy when finishing a race!  How great is this?!  I think you can only feel this type of joy when you have worked so hard for something, as I know she has the past few years.  With a 1:14 half marathon last month and this big win, I would say her season is off to a great start. 

I also think I am going to start a new page with my favorite podcasts and links for great listening.  I tend to listen to podcasts when I am running easy, cleaning the house, or even getting ready for work in the morning.  I have just discovered Rich Roll's podcasts, which have been really inspiring, especially on a nutrition level.  And, check out this good one with Jim Ryun. 

Another wonderful weekend out.....

No comments: