Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Special Letter

I am in massive cleaning mode. I am almost finished with arranging the guest bedroom to accommodate a small workout space for a winter bike trainer set up. (1000 square feet of house doesn't give us too much free space- but I am not complaining- in New Orleans we lived in 700 square feet).

I have come across a bunch of fun stuff today while cleaning.

1. My passport. Right where I told my family it would be. Still totally my fault. IMWales would not have been complete without the huge passport fiasco.

2. My honeymoon journal. I did end up throwing it away, but I saved the page from the very last day, March 22, 2005, that ended with this: "Mostly, though, I am happy to be married to Dave. One of the best decisions of my life. I love him very much and he has truly been wonderful to me."

3. A letter from a child I used to tutor in New Orleans at George Cox Elementary (public and very underprivileged). I was a Title I tutor, and these kids were a mess. Some came to school with urine and dirt on their clothes. Some were hungry and went without breakfast. Most had poor parental role models. Most were very, very behind in all academics. Many had serious behavior problems and got in big trouble in and out of school, even as a grade-schooler. I was pretty sure I didn't make a bit of difference.

Dear Ms Turpin
Thank you from helping me out with my work ever day.
Thank you from working nice with takeing the tiame to dill with us in hard sishawaytions.
When we are bad you takeing your time out to dill with us we may fus but I now you well be there for us.
ps love Brian

I will always keep this letter, and I hope Brian is doing well.

No comments: