Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lunch Time- Maximizing


NOLA Bachelorette Party For Christy :) We had a blast at French Quater Fest! (I will spare you all from the late night pictures :)

There is not too much I can accomplish during lunch time. I used to run or workout sometimes, but I can't run, and the gym is not near me. When it was Twilight time, I read every lunch- but I don't have a good book right now. However, I found an awesome way to spend my lunch now....at the nearby library either reading or catching up on computer time! I am not a member of this library, so I didn't really ever consider using it until today, and it seems that strangers are welcome...awesome! :)

So- now that I have a moment, I can give some real updates.

I have had so many questions about my knee, so here is the low down. The old OCD injury (2005) to my lateral femoral condyle has returned. In the simplest terms, the cartilage at the end and on the front of my femur is cracked like a dropped boiled egg. With this injury comes a lot of bone brusing and edema. This is a serious injury because if the cartilage comes off, I am left with a "hole" in my bone, per se. There are surgical procedures they can do, but it is not a guaranteed repair.

Now, in 2005, the injury was traumatic from soccer, not overuse. The way we proceeded in healing it last time was 3 months non-weight bearing on crutches followed by 8 more months of no impact exercise. In MRI comparison, it took from April of 2005 to October of 2005 to see healing results. I wish it were as simple as a fractured bone, but it isn't.

This time around, the injury was probably re-aggravated by over use. Too many marathons- going to track practice when it didn't feel good just to prove I was tough- running through pain- riding a bike without a good fit- returning to soccer and playing when it didn't feel good-who really knows-... So, right now I have not run in 38 days (or something like that). So, I (or we if I can ever get back to a doctor) will need to decide if I can make progress with healing while biking, walking, eliptical, or if I need to cut everything out. There is just not a quick fix to this and I have dealt with it before. The other problem is that I have some other stuff going on with the knee like the bone spurs, Baker's cysts, and mal-tracking patella that may be contributing to the medial pain.

So, no quick fix. Lots of convolusion. Nothing to do but stay positive and keep moving as much as I can. (because these 5 extra pounds may soon be 10 if I am not careful) :) - Charlie, I have been going to Quince Y for yoga. I am doing the Peddler rides as much as possible in the morning and trying to ride longer on other days. I am swimming several times a week. Just the basic stuff. I am also trying to do new things- Muscleworks class, eliptical, etc...just new stuff so I am strengthening my body in other ways and not just doing the same 3 (or 2 :) sports.

So- I am going to be smart and have some patience. That is what I tell myself every day. Okay, lunch time is up- back to work!

3 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Oh Damie - I'm thinking of you...I KNOW that you'll get better and heal. But its hard at the same time...take it day by day... And there ARE physical things that you can do, right? Let's think about those and get moving! Yea! Looks like you had a wonderful time - that makes me happy... :)

BreeWee said...

Hang tuff girl, I have your 4leaf clover still, it works for me, go find you one! AND I love the new blog make-over~!

kerrie said...

wow, that is exactly or sounds almost exactly like what i had. bone bruising/look like a cracked egg(spiderweb) on my lateral femoral condyle(or whatever it is called). and yes, tons of swelling and i COULD NOT walk for the longest time. the good news is, that i did take 16 weeks off, because they said any impact could have cause permanent damage and i was able to run after that. so, be patient, take the time, and know you'll be back at it soon enough. use this time to become a super bike and swimmer :)