Friday, February 6, 2009

Another Boring Training Post

As punishment for standing Joy up on Thurs for swim and coffee, I decided to work in the missed swim this morning at 5:30 am before the 7:00 mandatory work arrival time. I thought I could get away with a few easy laps, pump out some 100s, work on form, or really just whatever I wanted to do. But no..... there was a new coach on deck this morning. I didn't even know they had master's on Friday mornings (it is a new thing). He immediately and correctly assumed I was a triathlete. What gave it away? The lack of muscle? The scared look in my eyes?

He asked if I could handle 2,900 yards to start with. Okay, now I had to roll my eyes. I may be a triathlete, but cut me some slack. I am not fast, but I can swim for a long time. Okay, and being the little piss- ant that I am (some things never change no matter how old I get), I made sure to tell him that I had done an Ironman, and I also put on one of my half-Ironman swim caps to prove to him that I would not quit after 800 yards. Like he cared- he probably didn't even know what an Ironman was.

And, practice was fun, informative, and great! I didn't get picked on at all, although I am sure he wondered how in the hell someone like me and my slow butt ever finished an Ironman as I was the last to touch the wall every time. There was something to focus on with every length we swam, and I felt like I was really learning something for once.

Besides that, I must confess that I have run 17.5 miles in the past three days-


on the treadmill.


yup. Because it is still dark and cold when I get off of work. I once again did my tempo run on the treadmill, and my easy runs are really starting to feel easy on there. Sometimes I had to double check the pace to make sure I had it right because everything is starting to feel easier on there. I even, gulp, did striders at the end of my workout last night on the machine. Dave was super impressed that I could stay on that thing for 6 miles, and I am too. I am not going to push my luck and ask for more miles on there- I am grateful I have survived thus far.

And this weekend I am going to do a 4 mile road race to make myself suffer. Yes, racing is suffering to me right now, but it is the only way I am going to get back to that competitive place where you feel confident to let the pace rip and KNOW you can hold it. (Right now I don't know anything). One race at a time- I'll get there.

4 comments:

Laura said...

What pool has Friday morning swims? And who is the coach? Not Rob I guess?

Loren said...

I don't know how you run on the treadmill...those things are so miserable for me! Good luck with your race! Let me know how it goes. I run the 3K tomorrow afternoon in Kentucky!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! That sounds awesome about the swim coach. It really makes a huge difference when someone makes the workout interesting and challenging!

And good job for sticking it out on the treadmill! I know how much it sucks!!! And i have only done one run on it this year! Good luck tommorrow! I can't wait to go to BHAM with you! I hope i can keep up!!!

Eileen Swanson said...

Nice work on the tready! Wow, that is tough! How are the pups?