Sunday, January 11, 2009

Panama

Another Sunday- 12 miles on the trails.  I ran 30 miles again this week, and it is probably time to up the weekly mileage a little for next week.  My run was an up and down one today- my knees were handling the downhills much better, but my emotions weren't completely on track.  

I thought about my 5k yesterday.  A girl in a skort beat me.  The course was long by about 25-30 seconds or so, the temperature suddenly dropped in the very gray afternoon, and the flags were horizontal due to the horrendous head winds downtown.  It was not a good day to run a 5k.  I was hoping to see some continuing improvement in my running.  After all, I have done my speedwork and have been honest with the intervals.  Mile 1 was fine, and I actually probably went out a little too slow.  But, after seeing all of the people go crazy in the first mile, I really tried to make sure I didn't go out to fast, and I passed a good handful of people at the mile 1 marker.  At about mile 1.5ish, we turned up the hill and into the wind.  I realize there is a girl ahead of me that is wearing shorts over tights (come to find out it was a skort) and I was gaining on her.  But then I wasn't.  It was all I could do to fight the wind.  I got to Riverside Drive, my favorite street for hammering the pace, but I couldn't hammer.  I just put my head down and tried to keep moving forward.  When I realized not only would I not be faster, but I was significantly slower, I tried to stay positive and work on anything- anything at all.  Light on my feet.  Keep the arm swing cadence going.  Anything.  The 3.1 beep went off way before the finish line, and then forever later I was done.  And I noticed that the shorts/tights combo was actually a skort/tights combo, and I could have at least made it a race if I ran even close to what I ran a month ago.  And a year ago she would not have even been close to me.  As it was, though, I had a new PW in hand for 2009.  At least I got a tempo run in, because that is really what the 5k turned out to be for me.  Sweet.  

Thank goodness for Joy, snuggled in her warm car around the corner.  Being the friend that she is, she thought she would pick me up post race for some coffee.  So, Saturday evening coffee club it was.  I begged her to please figure out what I need to do to get my running back.  We talked about our goals for the upcoming season.  And we even talked about breeding-don't ask.  

So, today on my long run I felt mostly frustrated.  I am frustrated my body isn't responding.  I am frustrated that despite doing everything I was asked to do last year, I got slower.  Thank goodness I had a good first Ironman, the redeeming result in a year of poor ones.  I refuse to let 2009 be the same.  In 2007, I knew when I raced that my race would be a good one- at least the best that I could offer.  2008, I never knew what the day would bring when I stepped up to the line.  

I was feeling mighty sorry for myself on my long run.  I am a pathetic runner.  My grandfather is back in the ICU on a ventilator.  So, now I am an old, "never was" runner about to lose her grandfather.  Around mile 9 it turned into- I am an old, pathetic runner about to lose her grandfather that still doesn't have kids and hasn't graduated from school.  It just kept getting worse.  

But then- Panama came on.  You know, Van Halen?  The song you hear at the starting line of Ironman Florida?  If you didn't notice, you really missed out, because it is really awesome getting ready to swim 2.4 miles in the ocean with Panama blaring into your ears.  I immediately felt better.  I finished an Ironman this year- what an accomplishment.  And you know those other goals?  I am going to get there too.  And NO, I am not waiting until I am older to qualify for Boston because the time is easier.  I am not copping out or giving up on my goals.  And, the only person that needs to believe that I can do it is ME.  

Why stop at Panama?  I let it roll over to Poundcake, another awesome Van Halen song.  I looked down at my garmin and realized that I was just a little quicker than my usual very slow pace on the trails.  Things aren't so bad after all.  I got home and cried a little bit in the shower over Pop Pop.  I know the realism of death and I have a lot of acceptance of the situation, (and who knows what will happen in the next week).  I think it would go against nature if a grandkid didn't cry over her Pop Pop, though.         

Out of the shower- I asked Dave.  Is this it?  Am I done as an athlete?  Have I really reached my potential somewhere in the past?  He laughed and said not even close.  He has been trained well, don't you think? :)   
 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are no where near done girl! You are so freaking strong! I do know how you feel though. 2008 was a horrible year for me. I couldn't run, or race to save my life!!! I'm hoping this year will go better. Don't get down on yourself. You are an amazing athlete! Maybe we can work on our running together this year!!!

Lee said...

oh my sweet,sweet Damie girl! I think.......you are still on the IM decompress..you are doing just fine baby girl! just fine!! I was so glad to see you. Hey, I'm back at it! working out!!!! love you!

Mary Eggers said...

I will hear none of this talk!!! None of it! It is JANUARY!.... You did an IRONMAN in November! If you were to hit a PR every single race that you did all year round...... you'd be completley done after one single season. The season (and I KNOW YOU KNOW THIS) is deisgned to have highs and lulls (not lows). Each race has it's purpose, it's a stepping stone to the next one.

So you wrap your big heart around this race, as it is the stepping stone for something further down the road. And you will see that girl in the skort, and when the time is right, you will sail on by her.

Samantha said...

I am indeedy up north...but actually its really west...well more like northwest, but its the west coast...actually...I'm not even in Tacoma right now. I'm in Victoria for the week catch the second half of our winter training camp. We swam 6k this afternoon and I kind of enjoyed it...how weird is that? It must be something in the water. It's filtered by ozone and not chlorine...that must be it. haha. wow. I've been up since 4am so I think that's why I'm rambling. haha. ttyl!!! I'll update my blog tonight or tomorrow...oh...and the bachelor party that Scott went to was before I got my nails done.

kerrie said...

i hope that your grandpa is doing better! he is lucky to be surrounded by such caring people!

as for you, IT IS JANUARY! this is base season - it is all about putting the time in so you can use it later. don't worry about speed right now. then, in a couple of months, i want you to find that skort-wearing-over-tights girl and challenge her to another race :)

moremittenz said...

You are such a hardcore athlete, and one of the girls I'm always trying to catch! Don't let a few weeks of disappointing runs get you down, we all go through that only to come out at least mentally stronger in the end. And you did a freakin Ironman just a few months ago! Just keep pushing, rest when your body says to rest, and I'll still be right behind you...you know, making sure it's safe.

Laura said...

OK, I think my Runner's quote of the day was for you today girl -
"Keep your dream in front of you. Never let it go regardless of how farfetched it might seem." - Hal Higdon

Remember how crappy I felt after IM? Remember how annoyed and frustrated I was? You just have to let that part pass, I think. You used up all your in-shape on November 1st and you did amazing in your IM. Oh, and by the way, it's JANUARY 12th just in case you lost your calender. ;)

Your grandfather is in my thoughts and prayers.

Jan said...

first of all, you can't start the year off comparing yourself to other people, silly! and comparing to an outfit? come on damie, we've talked about this and you know better! skort or no skort...you can't compare yourself to other folks in races. you race your race and do your thing. you're only two months out of ironman florida...hello, do i need to repeat that? IRONMAN FLORIDA! you're an IRONMAN!!!! i'd have to conclude that you're one of the most studlike athletes that i know. that was one dinky 5k. look at it as one step toward you reaching your next goal.

Jennifer Harrison said...

Damie,
You want to know the truth? WELL you know I will give it. I started to read your blog and had to stop AND come back. (not in regards to your g-father! I hope he is ok!)....but, because you are self-depricating and we worked SO hard on that in 08...YOU did a SUPERB IRONMAN - one that 99% of athletes would kill to have. So what if the 5ks got slower?! Of course they would...not many can PR at the 5k and IM within months of one another.

LOVE yourself. LOVE your body and be grateful for all you have - your drive, dedication and natural talent is MUCH more than most have....and you need to LOVE yourself for all you are. Or, each 5k will be a pisser....

xo

CBD said...

30 miles a week and going up?

That's like my peak mileage! The less the better - get your endurance on the bike. I'm not up to much more with a 50k coming up.


Then again, I'm no where near competitive...

Anonymous said...

Your giving Ironman a bad rep.
Training for ironman DOES NOT make you slower. I've set most of my running pr's after training for ironman.
What happens most of time is you have your taper then the ironman race and then you pretty much shut down for umpteen weeks of course your going to be slow your quit training regular but don't blame ironman.
So it's the TAPER and Post ironman shutdown takeing time off that makes you slower or as chuckie v says its not that your slow slow just not fit to run that fast for a longer time".
Now you do risk injury if you do too much post ironman too early.
I will have to admit after my first ironman in 1991 when I didn't know better I was setting pr's in the 6 to 8 weeks post for 5k, 10k,marathon and half marathon(yep I did all those like an idiot) but I ended up with stress fracture in my foot doing too much and was off all winter
But if you kept up some light training(swimming,cycling ,walking short jogs on trails) post ironman for week or so gradually building back to 4 to 7 runs a week then you wouldn't loose much. I've set a number of triathlon pr's(short course) between 2 ironman races.

So just keep training it will all come back especially since your just a kid. It's lot's tougher when your 53 years old but I'm not ready to give up PR's just yet.

Liz Waterstraat said...

Done? Sounds like you've only just begun, girl. It's January! Chin up.