Saturday, November 29, 2008

Gotta Start Somewhere!

It is time for Damie to run again. I love to run. I love to race, too! I love to race myself- the clock- my past PRs. I haven't done near as much running or racing this past year, so it is time to get going again!

With my main goals for the spring being half marathon distances, I have some building to do. The distance is a no-brainer, but getting the pace back down is going to take some work. And, I have not been sure where to start, since I really don't know where I am? I know what I can do for a marathon after a 112 mile bike, but that is about it.

So, I need some numbers. I need a place to start. Here we go- Jingle Bells 5k. Now, being 28 days post IM, I still have had no desire whatsoever to run a 5k. I know my speed is lacking. I haven't even paced 2 quick miles in succession for a long time- much less 3. Actually, I haven't even run a 5k since last January! Honestly, anything other than my marathon pace feels fast! But, if I am going to have a starting point, I have to get out there, and this is the only chance I have in the next 5 weeks.

(and I don't know about you, but I hate going to a race when I know I am not in my best shape for that event. I like to line up knowing I have done the work to provide a good result. However, I found myself feeling happy this morning just to be out there...:)

So, off I go this morning, HR monitor on, watch on wrist. First mile 7:21, second mile 7:19, third mile 7:18 (total time 22:43). Well, I have always been a model of consistency, huh? This is by far the slowest 5k I have run in 2 years (well, 3 if you don't count the broken foot). I felt like I could've run more miles, but I could not go any faster. I felt strong- just slow! :) It really goes to show how important specificity is for my racing because I know I am not tremendously out of shape- but I am out of 5k shape. (Pros and amazing people are the exception- I know some of you that stay quick at every distance, Ironman training or not!)

So, now I have a time in hand- a baseline. No, I am not going to start hitting the track with crazy intervals to bring my 5k time down- actually- NO TRACKWORK until Jan for me. What this will do for me is give me a realistic starting point for adding miles at the appropriate paces to work towards my spring goals. I can use some tables from McMillan, Daniels, whomever... and guide my training now. If I had used my old times, I would have been over shooting things. And then maybe we will run another 5k in Jan just to see how we are doing adding mileage and time on my feet again.

Happy running, eating, and holiday shopping to all!

5 comments:

Joy said...

Very interesting. I've just read something on sportsscientists.com about this-- pace limiters.

More importantly, did you wear your jingle bells while running??

Anonymous said...

Hey, my coach just told me no track until Jan as well! She doesn't want me getting my HR up, just get the time in. Let me know if you want to run some slow longer runs!

Chukie B. said...

I know what you mean, Leslie and I did the Turkey Trot Relay on Thanksgiving and she only did 13:18 for the 2 mile leg. She does have 3 kids though. And she was sick :)

Chuk B

Laura said...

Since I've abandoned the marathon plan, slow miles sound good to me too. I'm up for no pressure runs with the girls! :)

Marit C-L said...

Great job on the run! Yes - you are consistent, I'll give you that! BUT, I bet that you know EXACTLY what a 7:20 pace feels, inside and out. And that is a very good thing! Good luck with the speedy stuff come January! Yea - track work!!! :)