Thursday, February 28, 2008

Soccer time!

Well, it has been several months since I have played a real, outdoor game. Last fall, I did not play co-ed and I only played women's (and I hardly made any of those games). It was a struggle for me to get to the games after a full day of school and marathon training, so something had to give. I missed playing co-ed with Dave, though. Soccer is one of the things that connects us.

So, last night I stepped back on the field with my co-ed team.
-Was I going to suck?
-Was I going to have fun?
-Was I going to have fun even if I sucked?
-Would I still have that fire?

You see, there is something different about me on the soccer field. It is a competitive fire that is really deep. I can't seem to bring it out in other sports the same way. I want to win. I hate messing up or losing the ball. I want to be the best girl out there, even if I am clearly not. I don't smile and wave for the camera. I push, foul, and talk back to other players. I feel joy and happiness on the field. I can also turn around and feel anger and frustration in the deepest level. And after every game I am ready to play the next one.

So, it was Nuggets (us) vs Outlaws (them). I played pretty well; which of course I had to have verified by Dave. It seems to make it real when someone else tells you that you had a good game. I missed a goal I should've scored. I gave the ball away a time or two that shouldn't have gotten away from me. But, I also had some good plays. I think Dave was surprised that I showed some confidence on the ball that he didn't expect.

But, we didn't win. We tied 1-1...thanks to Dave's goal. We could've won if I had score my goal. oh well. But, I am happy to say, the fire is still there. My left knee was bloody, my right knee was swollen, and I swear I broke my right thumb last night all in the name of playing hard. And, at the end of the game when I heard the other team say "we are happy with a tie," I responded "well I'm not. I play to win." Period. And I was hot, mad, and ready to play another 90 minutes for that win.

And, today I am reminded that I am not 20 anymore. My knees hurt and my thumb is purple. My butt is sore. But, I sure did have fun ;)

I am so happy to be playing soccer again. I have not felt happy about playing since my injury, so this very exciting for me. It has been 2 years since I have cared. Now, though, I am looking forward to my indoor game on Friday since it will give me some extra practice.

No comments: