Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Didn't Get Dropped!

Today I went riding with a group of guys. I was nervous that I would not be able to hang on, and we were going 40 miles. Sure enough, the guys started hammering up the hills. I just let them and quickly caught back up without much worry at the top of each one. This has always been my style in track, cycling, and swimming. I usually start off slower (because it takes me a while to warm up), but by the end I am doing great and passing people that started off too fast. I try not to worry what others may think about me if I am not near the front. I think this comes with inner focus and knowing that I am not competing with others in training. Or, maybe that I only have to prove my worth to myself, not to others. (And don't be fooled, proving things to yourself can be much harder sometimes than proving to others!) Of course with cycling, I would love to get faster in everything and get the speed to start off more quickly, but I know this will come with a couple of months (or years, really!) of solid training.

By the end of the ride, one guy was dropped...but not me. I was right up there. :)

Of course, they could probably drop me at any time if they wanted to. I am sure they were being nice to the "new girl."

No comments: