Wednesday, December 29, 2021

River Roux Oly Distance Tri: October 2021

Another late one- but I want to get it down so I don't forget!

After 4 sprints this summer, I decided to try my hand at an Olympic distance race again.  I figure if I just keep racing, it will come back.  I also realized I was not feeling incredibly motivated at the sprint distance as my only carrot.  A couple of weeks prior to this race, I registered for Florida 70.3.  I am not sure why.  I have no clue why it appealed to me, other than it was in driving distance and at the end of the season which gave me a little more time to get in shape + not have to train in 100+ degree weather for every single session.  It was a scary goal.  So, an Oly was a good stepping stone.  

In another one of my hair-brained plans,  I woke up at 3:30am to drive to race because I am too cheap to get a hotel room the night before.  Doh!  I was tired this time around.  I may be getting a little too old for that.  

River Roux ended up being a TINY race.  I am not sure it is the effects of Covid or decreased tri participation in Louisiana in general, but the field was very small for such a nice Olympic distance triathlon.  

Swim:  We swam in the False River, which I was told used to be geographically a part of the Mississippi River way back when.  I thought that was pretty cool.  I absolutely love river swims too!  

Casey and I hung out before the race, and she is a real swimmer.  Of course she didn't warm up because she could swim with one arm and be faster than most of the field.  Well, I didn't warm up because I was too busy talking to her and that was a mistake.  For one, I didn't count the buoys to see how far down I needed to go before the turn buoy.  (ALWAYS look at the course prior!).  I also didn't put on my most tinted goggles, which was a mistake as I swam straight into the sunrise.  

So, I entered the water and couldn't see a thing for a huge portion of the race as it is a big out and back down the river.  Had I counted the buoys, I could have at least had an idea of when I was close to turning.  But, I didn't, and somewhere in the middle of the course I turned before I was supposed to.  I quickly figured out my mistake and figured I only lost maybe 50 yards.  Frustrating, of course. Mental note to up my pre-race game. 

Bike:  Again it was a nice out and back with flat roads.  The field was tiny, so I was really by myself most of the ride with very few people to chase near me.  I caught one girl coming back which was great, but I could just tell that I wasn't smooth or putting out my normal ride.  I am not comfortable on my bike and something about the fit isn't quite right. I can't put my finger on it, but I just can't generate anymore power, and it isn't a muscular or aerobic issue.  I know for sure after this ride I have to go have another bike fit.  Something is off. 


Run:  I hovered right about 8 to 8:10 min pace for the run.  It was not blazing hot out, although the run was really opened and exposed to the sun.  But, I felt like I could manage the heat on this day.  Several of the girls were way ahead of me.  The girl I passed on the bike passes me back at mile 1 (and ends up nabbing 3rd place).  I feel pretty happy with my run in that I am at least holding the same pace for the 10k as I was for the 5ks.  It still just feels incredible slow to me, and I envy the girls ahead of me floating in the 7s.  


What I do remember thinking during the run:  "my half ironman run pace will be around 9 minutes."  I think to myself, in equivalent heat, that will be my pace.  9 minutes will be "comfortable."  So now I know.  No heroics on 70.3 race day, even though I am 2 months out.   I know I still have time to train and gain run fitness, but realistically, I know if I can't run a sub 8 10k off of the bike, my half marathon pace will be slower than I want but I am at peace with that. 

The only run mistake I made on this day was not wearing socks.  The blisters started early and really made running tough.  My feet were torn up after the race.  I decided after today I would wear socks going forward for all distances.  I am just too old to have the pain.  (or too wimpy now...maybe age has nothing to do with it.)

I got some cool awards, including a gift card to a running store. Yippee!!!

Casey and I did not race head to head this race because we realized in other races we are constantly keying off of each other and it is distracting from racing others and ourselves.  But after this race, we realized we do need to race head to head.  I finished .8 seconds ahead of her for the OA Masters win and 4th OAF.  It is amazing how different our strengths are, yet again how closely together in time we finish.  So, we agreed that if we are really that close, we do need to be really racing each other.  Time trial starts in all of triathlon make racing hard these days, and I haven't seen a wave start or mass start race in years.  


Awards with my friends, Casey and Word.  Racing is more fun with friends :) 


No comments: