Saturday, January 30, 2021

Filling In The Race Calendar


Lately I have been putting a lot of races on my race calendar.  Running races, duathlons, and triathlons.  If they are within driving distance, I plug them in.  Every now and then, I go and cross one out.  Like that half iron distance in May?  I will probably 100% not be ready for that.  

But, having some little sprints on my calendar is giving me a little reason...just a little something.  Like a gentle hand pushing me back into the world I love.  Because, I WANT to race again.  I love racing.  I love triathlon.  

Starting as a beginner is fun.  You don't really know what you are doing, and every race you learn so much...and the fire inside grows just a bit more.  

But starting over with beginner fitness but many years of experience in your head and heart...well, it feels different, right?  I don't really have a road map for this.  I don't have a mentor that has taken a legit and significant period of time off and then come back.  5 years is nothing to sneeze at.  How many years does it take me to get that back?  

Well, perhaps I will be that person in the future that mentors someone and tells them, "Yes, mama.  You can absolutely step away for a long time, lose your body, and lose those habits you cultivated over all of the years of swim/bike/run.  You can step away and come back!  It won't take you as long as you think, and even if it does, you will enjoy the journey anyway."

So, let's get those races on a calendar and just show up to the daily training...and then show up to the race start.  Let's see what happens.  



 

No comments: