Tuesday, January 2, 2018

2018- GO!

I didn't do any sort of end of year recap.  I can't say that 2017 sucked, because it didn't.  I wake up every day with the family I love.  Dave and I bought a house that we love in the second oldest neighborhood in New Orleans, and we now have a quirky and awesome house from circa 1850.  Isla loves school.  Dave is thriving in his job.  I worked my butt off this year as a physical therapist.

And I had the worst year athletically.  I set new personal worsts in racing.  Or, I didn't race.  Many of us have these years after pregnancy or an injury, and that somehow seems acceptable.  But just having one bad year out of the blue wasn't acceptable to me.  I didn't go down without a fight, but I did go down.

But nothing has changed in my mind.  I  am going to keep on grinding.  I have put some races on the calendar, which will definitely be more embarrassingly slow races, but I am going to race my way back into shape.  Part of the struggle of 2017 was my intense loneliness in what is already an individual sport.  I am no longer on a team, and I no longer have a master's swim team, my GeneralOWL run group, or my Los Locos racing team.  I don't put on a Wattie Ink kit.  I am solo- daily.  So, I think at this point it is imperative that I race to meet people and stay connected.


But the pathway is still the same.  Work hard.  Don't quit.

2018:
  • Increase my racing
  • Transition Isla to school
  • Improve work stability
  • Paint the inside of my house and get furniture
  • Create pathway to APE certification or special education department work
  • Pursue something NOT sports related:  go to VegFest was one thing I thought to do, but possibly some meditative retreats. 
  • Find a way to volunteer with animals again
  • Pick a good trail race- end of the year- distance TBD 
  • Get my RRCA coaching certification
That seems like a good start.  

Over and out! 

No comments: