Tuesday, May 9, 2017

My Motley Riding Crue

I am determined to get this dying blog up and running, as if it is somehow connected to my actual training and racing.  REVIVAL all around!!!!

I had almost a year off of riding in 2016.  Prior to the Nola move, I was having some fit issues I could not get resolved.  Then we were in the process of moving so I wasn't riding anyways.  And that was followed up with my bike being stolen.  And, there you have it.  2016 was not my year to ride.  

2017.  New bike and new year.  I wanted to be motivated, but I found myself sad that I just had no where to ride and no one with whom I could ride.  One day, I was riding the same 4 mile road by myself when I saw 3 guys going the opposite way.  I waved them down..."WAIT!!!!!"  and then turned around to catch them and begged them to let me ride with them.  I am sure I said something like, "I know I am out of shape but I used to ride and I need friends and more and more run on sentences please let me ride with you!"

And that was the start of my new riding group.  In order to ride with them, they insisted I use Strava.  (Which I think is so stupid and I will save that for another post, but apparently I am on it now.)  Our group consists of 6 people:  all over 40 or 50, 2 black guys, 2 hispanic guys, 1 guy with diabetes, range of riding experience 4 months-2 years, one steel bike, one guy with no helmet, and one guy with a bike too big.  And me.  My Motley Bike Crew- different and awesome.  Each guy with their own amazing contribution to the ride.  

And I EFFING LOVE IT!  I come home so happy, and Dave is amazed at what a difference I am having riding my bike now.  You know, I just like good people!  I am aging.  My goals are different.  And I like these guys.  I love the diversity.  I love that these guys ride almost every day and LOVE it- and they have nothing to prove- they just ride to ride.  These guys are cool.  These guys are nice.  These guys are always looking to get faster but in no way are looking to beat each other (or me) up.  

I am at about 3 x week now on my bike.  I am getting fitter.  I am loving it.  I am getting the itch to race.  I am grateful!!!!!!




1 comment:

Jennifer Harrison said...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!