Sunday, May 3, 2015

Next

Next up- sprint triathlon next weekend!  I am going to go back to the race that was my first post-baby triathlon and try to better my time.  "Try" seems like such an inappropriate word, as I better improve my time!  My only goal is to S/B/R faster than I did last year on the same course.  I am stepping back into some sprint races to really get my system firing and re-learn how to push the pace and suffer more. 

Since Nola 70.3, I took the first week almost completely off.  After all, I guess I am not a spring chicken anymore.  (And I define "no longer spring chicken" not by my age, but more by my 30 years of sports/joints pounding).  I think my schedule called for 6 total miles of running after a 5 day lay-off.  I would have never done that in the past simply because I love to run and don't need much recovery as long as I keep the easy runs easy.  It kind of grated on my nerves, but I followed the plan.  

This past week I returned to my old, dreaded, favorite Peddler ride.  It is that early morning ride that requires I work at my max to keep up with the guys as they sprint for the world championship title.  I used to do this ride frequently 4 years ago or so, but I just haven't been ready physically to get back out there.  When getting back into training that is really challenging for me, I just get into a mindset of working hard.  If I get dropped, so what....I am there to work hard.  If I can't keep up, so what...I am there to improve. 

Ah, so I got back out there and it wasn't that bad.  I kept up for that ride, but I don't judge that as good.  Conversely if I don't keep up on the next ride, that is not bad.  It is just an opportunity for me to work very hard and do the intervals that I struggle to do on my own.  I am really hoping that if I can get the opportunity to put in a few harder rides on my schedule I will start to break back through and find my cycling legs.

And that is that!  I am hoping to report next weekend that I was able to just work really, really hard in my sprint and feel like I could push and find the next gear. 

PS-  anyone else over-the-moon excited to see Andreas Raelert on the podium at St George with the fastest run split?  Not bad for a first race back...he is absolutely my pick for IMTX.


No comments: