Thursday, November 8, 2012

More Of The Same

My life is rolling along, but I have so little to blog about on the training front.  I am getting in some exercise about 5 days a week.  My runs are mostly capped off at 30 minutes, simply because that seems like a good, round, easy number.  I ran 60 minutes on Sunday and felt fine, but I am trying to err on the side of short and sweet right now.  Running feels the easiest for me right now.  I have been running my entire life, and I can get out there and go without having to generate much power.  Cycling and swimming have been much harder on me.  I thought it would be opposite and that I would jump back to these two first.  But, what I have discovered is that they require some sort of power to perform...in a way that running doesn't require for me.  So, a 30 minute spin is much harder than a 30 minute run.  And a 30 minute swim puts me out for the day.  So, loss of muscle has really affected the bike and swim more so than the run.

I am hesitant to plan anything, as I feel that until I feel great, I should just take it day by day.  But, I am thinking that I will follow something like this if everything keeps moving along:

November:  I have noticed that sitting out several months has not only robbed me of a ton of visible muscle, it has also weakened a bunch of smaller, less-visible muscle groups such as hip abductors and internal core muscles.  I decided that before I start training and end up with an injury from muscle imbalance, I am going to do Pure Barre for a month.  (I am not yet ready to lift heavy weights, so high rep, small movement is great for me right now).  That is not my normal scene, and I am super uncomfortable in the class and stick out like a sore thumb around the well-put-together, East Memphis moms.  However, my hips and abs are thanking me for addressing their weakness. 

December:  I am looking to do the 30 runs/30 days.  This seems doable, based on the ease of running right now.  Little bouts of small, easy runs to bring back some consistency to my days.

January:  Maybe the same, but with swimming....

I am lucky to have lots of motivating people surrounding me in triathlon.  From Wattie Ink to my local crew, Los Locos....there is no shortage of great athletes.  And now, Los Locos can boast that we have World Champion on the team:  Lucia Colbert, AG World Champ at Xterra.  If she can bounce back from a year of virus to a World Championship, what is my excuse?  :))))

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, I feel the same way about running. I have spent the last year pretty much just running in order to gain some fitness back and not taxing my body too much. I was slowly able to increase my time on the road and have never been SO consistent with strength training as I have been the past year. I started to rebuild my body at the end of August 2011 and I am still working, slowly but surely. And I would love to write and AH-HA, "this blah blah blah turned me around and I'm a new athlete instantly" kind of story. But it hasn't worked that way and I hope things go MUCH smoother for you!!

Steve said...

30 runs in 30 days = injury for me.

Good Luck.

leslie said...

Tell me about this barre stuff.. I was thinking about trying...muscular imbalance is my middle name. I hired a PT for 10 sessions and although he gives me a good work out, he addresses none of my concerns. I guess that is what I get for buying cheap training off groupon.... glad you are doing some stuff, i know it feels good to be back to normal. Also, i love this los locos pic... where is this wall?

Laura said...

Awwww, look at you guys! I miss the team. Hopefully I'll make some friends in tris here soon... XOXO