Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Weekend Start- Volunteer!

 When the work day ends, the fun begins!!!!  I love my Friday night volunteer time.  I spend it taking care of the dogs at the Humane Society.  I get there after work, and finish in time to go out if I choose.  It is a perfect way to start the weekend!

I always mean to get more pictures- we walk 60 + dogs.  But, I get a little wrapped up in playing and forget to use my camera.  But, here are a few fun pics showing the BEST way to spend a little after-work Friday night time.  If you have ever considered volunteering...for anything....just go do it!  It is sometimes hard to decide to find time in our otherwise crazy schedules, but it is some of the best time you will spend all week.  I guarantee it.  I find that Friday nights are best because it is not truly interrupting the weekend or work.  I hardly miss it, even when I am exhausted from training or work.  It refreshes my heart and brings peace and balance back to my soul.  Volunteering is an awesome thing. 
Spending time with Shelby Angel.  I have to admit, I totally give her some preferential treatment on Fridays.  I walk her first, even if it is out of order.  No one minds, though.  Everyone saves her for me :) (The minute she sees me come into the kennel she goes crazy to get to me.)  We have play time in the yard AND go on a walk.  She deserves it.  She has spent two years at the Humane Society, and still no home.....  :(
The sweetest dog- little Mel.  People that cut ears on dogs suck.  I am always guaranteed a lot of good kisses and snuggles from Mel.  She was rescued off of a chain, starved and cut up.  She is so thankful to have people that take care of her now.  She would be super easy to adopt- awesomely sweet dog.
 Always judge a dog like you would a person- by their soul and personality, not by their looks or your prejudice.
AZUMI!!!! I told ya'll she was great.  Everyone loves her.  She just had her spay procedure and will be up for adoption soon.  She is so gorgeous and friendly- we think she will have a home asap.  She is so happy, and I think John (above) secretly wants to her to come live with him.  Some dogs just really talk to our hearts. 
My two FAVORITE people- Tracy and John.  They work at the Humane Society, and I see them every Friday night.  They are two of the kindest-hearted people I have ever met.  I used to go to see Shelby Angel, then I went to see all of the dogs, and now I go to see all of the dogs + my friends. 
I had to post this picture because I think it is hilarious.  I pretty much volunteer at the Human Society rain or shine on Friday nights, as long as I am not out of town racing.  Last night we worked super hard, made it through a storm, and I had only had 2 hours of sleep the night before (insomnia).  I am still in my work scrubs, and I look so beat, dirty, and raggedy in this picture after a night of dog play. I love it!!!! 

I did sleep some 11 hours last night.  I threatened Dave that he better not wake me up this morning.  Sure enough, he is off to work and I am in bed playing on the computer and getting ready to read some more of the Game of Thrones!  AWESOME BOOK!  Once I pick it up, I won't be putting it down.  Happy weekend!

2 comments:

Steve said...

That is cool you do that. Jazz (Jasmine) we got from the Humane Society right after we bought our house. A Black Lab. She is old, and... OLD. :)

Our other dogs and cats we ended up having were rescued from something or another. Hope was rescued all beat up, and abandoned. Now I need rescuing from her when I run with her and she sees a Squirrel. ;)

Glad you got caught up on sleep.

Enjoy your book. :)

Joy said...

I love seeing SA! She looks so good! And she's looking at you adoringly. What a great end to your week. :) Miss you lots too!