Saturday, August 6, 2011

Weekly Bone

After my last post, I realized I am going to have to take tighter control in the next 5 weeks of my days. Like the 4 hours of sleep last night....not going to cut it. I have been unnecessarily grumpy with extraneous things like the weather (totally out of my control) most likely because I am not balanced (somewhat in my control :) Just 5 weeks away (Julia). I can do it!

I love it when life throws me a bone, though. Today I begrudgingly woke up at 4am to join an unfamiliar group of guys for a long ride. I hemmed and hawed about doing this ride. As usual, I worried that the ride would be too hard for me, and I would compromise my long ride by going out too fast in order to keep up. And, as usual again, I worry too much. The ride was great- the guys were great- my riding was great.

I followed it up with a 60 minute brick run. Some more good stuff. My legs feel completely awesome and my knees are as normal as they are going to get. All of my hard work is paying off. I don't get a bone every day, but when it comes my way, I recognize it and feel thankful. As ironman training starts to wrap up, I can say that I have done the work. I am finding ways to get it done.

Highlight of the week: learning hands on how to change my tubular tires. I now feel so smart. And did you guys know I was racing on a front tubular 404 all season long that had NO GLUE? The bike shop has wondered how I have not met my death this year.

1 comment:

CBD said...

Whoah. Who put the tire on there???

D - I think it's pretty amazing that you're riding with most of the fastest guys in the area consistently and then doing 60 min runs afterward. Impressive.