Sunday, June 5, 2011

The biggest feat of the weekend- driving 7 hours to the race site, only to sleep (or not sleep) in a hotel with no air conditioner with temps in the 90s. Race a half-iron distance. Drive back 7 hours to Memphis solo. Go to Italian Festival.

I am now officially tired...I think, except I am still awake.

Race went well and exceeded expectations in all events. I met my goal of swimming freestyle the entire swim with no panic. The bike was beautiful and fun. I managed the run with the following shout-out at every aide station "water, Heed (or coke at mile 10 on), ice, towel!" Water on head, Heed/coke in mouth, ice down my bathing suit, and wet towel over my shoulders. I will have to look at my watch again, but I think my last two miles were my fastest. This was probably my most successful battle ever against the heat.

2 comments:

Loren said...

Awesome job! I am struggling in this heat (mainly the humidity), even at 6 in the morning. Let me know if you want to get together sometime this summer!

CBD said...

Nice work! That is what it feels like to be really ready for a race rather than to just complete the distance.

"water, Heed (or coke at mile 10 on), ice, towel!" is all great if you remember where to put each item. Remember the Australian Tequila Shot?