Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tonight I had one of my first enjoyable runs of the year. Yes, I know it is April- a little late to cash in on the first happy run of 2010, but for the most part, even my easy runs have been hard for me.

I have not been able to swim/bike/run since last Thursday, and despite the fact that I still have yellow/green, thick, mucousy snot coming out of the wazoo, I no longer have a fever and I was able to return to work today. Instead of fretting about the multiple missed training sessions, I regarded the past week as an unexpected rest week. I was able to sleep 10 hours at night- combined with one to two 4 hours naps during the day.

Tonight I was given the greenlight to run an easssyyyyyyy 45 minutes. Here is why this is so great.

1. It has taken me 4 months to see easy and 45 minutes together on my schedule.
2. I went to East High School to run around the park, and there were about 100 people at the park playing soccer, practicing football, running track, and playing on the playground. I was only 1 person out of 4 "white" people in the park, and it was so fun to be surrounded by so many other colors and cultures. I love to see so many different types of people playing, exercising, and enjoying the sunshine.
3. I got to pass a soccer ball back into a Latino soccer game as a I ran by. I loveeee doing that because they never expect a female to be able to do anything with a soccer ball, much less while she is running by nonchalantly. Then the goof I passed it too shanked the ball which gave me a good laugh. I swear I could take them all on.
4. I didn't have to stop and stretch a million times. And while I am still looking at my watch a little too frequently, it is getting better.
5. I didn't get annoyed when I passed a guy running very slowly and he sped up to keep up with me. I actually smiled and felt glad for him.
6. Again, it is nice to be able to run 45 minutes. My highest mileage since surgery has been 19 miles/week. And that was just one week- most weeks I am around 12 miles. I am so grateful to run- so grateful to enjoy running- so grateful that I realized at an early age that running is special in and of itself.

No comments: