Saturday, May 23, 2009

Here We Go!

Just two more days until Bekah does her first triathlon!  

At my first triathlon (Rebel Man in 2006), I was so worried I wouldn't make it through the swim (400 yards in a pool!). Then I took forever in T1 because I wanted to put clothes on and pin my race number. The bike was fun because I had just gotten aerobars the week before- I am sure I was a really safe rider to be around! Then when I got to the run, I was just praying I could run the whole 3 miles. I strapped on my little knee brace and kept having to adjust it every half mile or so until I just took it off. Then- TADA! I was finished! I did it!

Okay, I am embarrassed to put this picture on here, but it is a good thing to laugh at myself from time to time.  Okay, here is me getting out of the pool swim in my first triathlon.  I wore tri shorts over a too-big-swim-suit because I was so embarrassed for people to see in me a swimsuit alone.  Then I promptly put on a jersey over the outfit so I was covered up.  Now I am older and more wrinkly and just run around in my bathing suit like it is nothing!   

Here is another picture from the day after awards.  It was a tiny race, so I got a little award for an AG win.  I think that falsely led me to believe that you win something every time you do a triathlon!  ha ha!  You mean, I don't even have to know how to swim or be able to run the whole distance to get a prize?  sweet!

Today I realized I still don't have my sh*t together as usual.  I haven't raced since November 1- IMFL.  That is almost 7 months, which is weird?  My big, heavy, yet reliable and trustworthy road bike is getting the nod this weekend as my race partner, leaving my sleek, beautiful, and fast tri bike leaning against the wall.  That also means I had to transfer everything back over to it- from the computer to the water bottle cage. So, I spent the morning getting my equipment race ready. 

By the way, as I am wrapping this post up, my sister just walked through my door.  Why?  To drop off her bike.  She is such a diva- apparently I am packing for her and making sure she arrives to the triathlon with everything she needs.  She doesn't know what she needs to bring, because she is relying on me.  I guess that is what big sisters are for after all, huh?

May Rebekah finish her first triathlon and have a hell of a good time. 

And for me, may the weather hold so that the race remains a triathlon and does not turn into a duathlon.  My nightmare will be having to walk that course x 2!  :)

No comments: