Friday, May 29, 2009

Graduation!

It didn't seem real until they announced me for the hooding ceremony as Doctor Damie Roberts. Doctor? Whoo hoo!!!!

I didn't think I would feel very proud today. I didn't even invite a single person to my graduation. Nope, not even Dave or my parents. I really didn't think I would care one way or another about getting my diploma. There were times when school was such a struggle for me and I wasn't enjoying it. Everyone else seemed to be on Cloud 9-loving school- making 100s on every test. Well, what I came to realize in the past few months, and especially today, is that we were all in the same boat. We all struggled and had times where the reality of school did not match our expectations. Some people just hid it more than others, but we were all in the same place.

And guess what? I felt very proud to receive my degree today. It really surprised me. I did not make this journey effortlessly or perfectly, but I sure have learned a lot, and I realized today that I really did earn my degree. I just spent three hard years learning every little speck imaginable about the muscles, bones, nerves, diseases, diagnoses, and everything medically related. I earned my doctorate, I am happy, and I am proud.

But let's not do it again.

Degree # 1: Yee haw! Let's go party! Yea me! Look at me!

Degree #2: I am smart. I am someone.

Degree #3: Get over yourself. Go get a job.

Lots and lots of love to my friends and family. That includes bloggers that have encouraged me along the way. Thank you :)

9 comments:

runningyankee said...

congrats!! thats an awesome accomplishment! and dare i say better than any finish line :) enjoy it!

Mommy of THREE little MONKEYS said...

CONGRATS!!! I am so happy for you! I know you earned it!

I cant believe you are officially a doctor, I always knew you were a smarty pants. love you!

runningtwig said...

Congrats! Be proud!

Anonymous said...

Damie I swear to you, you take the words out of my mouth when it comes to school! I'm so glad someone feels the same way I do.

Mary Eggers said...

YEAH SISTA! YEAH!

Jan said...

i like your graduation 1, 2, 3 thoughts.

Laura said...

Congratulations Dr. Damie! You did it!!!! :)

CBD said...

Congratulations, Dr. Damie!

kerrie said...

congrats dr.!!! all those years of schooling are worth it just so you can make people call you dr. i was laughing about your thoughts that go along with the 3 degrees ;)
glad to hear you are doing some running again....easy does it!