Friday, October 24, 2008

Part II- Elliot Perry

And, I just realized how boring these posts must be for some of you, especially those not racing right now. I guess my season has been a little long this year!

The second installment of my mental tricks of the trade goes way back. As a kid, I had a best buddy Shawn in school. We would call each other on the phone at night and watch Memphis State basketball. If you didn't know Memphis Sate before it became University of Memphis, you are young.

One player really stood out to me in the late 80s as a kid- Elliot Perry. He was a point guard for Memphis and went on to play NBA. In 1994-95, he was voted the NBA's most improved player- now that is an awesome honor. That speaks volumes about this man as an athlete.

I liked Elliot Perry as a kid because of his knee pads. To the best that I can remember, he was having a spell of trouble making free throws during one season in college. Someone (coach/trainer/?) told him

Confidence Is The Key

Perry (or the coach/trainer) wrote that on one of his knee pads, and he wore the knee pad every game. When I would watch him on TV, the TV crew would always do a close up of his knee pads to show the writing. And, his free throws improved.

As a kid, this delivered a very powerful message to me. I started writing Confidence Is The Key on one of my soccer shin guards from the time I was a grade schooler- all the way through college. I did not play a game without a shin guard that did not have Confidence Is The Key written on it.

Somewhere on my Florida gear, I bet you will find a magic saying....

1 comment:

Jan said...

that's such a great story! confidence is key...mental aspect of a race is HUGELY important. you'll do awesome! you're the best athlete i know!