Monday, May 5, 2008

Alabama Coastal Tri- Take 2

ERrrrr!!! I just wrote a huge, long post with pictures included about the tri this weekend. Blogger was just not having it and it wouldn't post. Do I rewrite or give you the shortened, lazy version?

Okay, short version of Friday, then I will post Saturday's story tomorrow.

I left Memphis on Thurs and made the long trip to the gulf. My only thought on that is...I am too old to make long road trips by myself. I don't know how that was such an easy drive in college.

I stayed with one of my best friends and old college teammate, Patty, on Thurs. Then, I stayed with another old college teammie and other best friend Whitney on Friday. So, it was hang out time with friends plus a triathlon all in one.

Rather than post all of the pictures I did earlier, I will just post this one of the girls.
Whit, Damie, Patty...LSL of the SHC Women's Soccer Team- 1996-2000.

Patty and Whit treated me like royalty. You would've thought I was going to the Olympics. Whit looked online to find what triathletes eat for meals in order to feed me. She was so concerned about my nutrition. "Is this the right protein/carb ratio, Damie?" Ummm....it is better than the pop tart I probably would've eaten, I thought. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I just ate cheetos before I walked into her home.

Let's just say my "4th" sport/discipline is generally lacking.

I also met my friend Jeff Skinner, super age-grouper, triathlete, duathlete on Friday to register. He had a mini-camp for me where he made me ride some of the course, pick out the quickest lines through the curves, practice mounts/dismounts, and take notice of the areas of bad head wind. I was like, geez, Jeff. I have never put this much thought into it. I thought you just showed up to the race and off you go! Practice, what a novel idea!

More about the actual race to come. But, let's just say the weekend started off fabulously with good friends. I am a lucky, lucky girl.

2 comments:

Jan said...

damie! you can't just leave us hanging like that!

Laura said...

I love destination races with good friends!

Oh, and I love long detailed race reports too..... ;)