Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Continued Conversation

A huge thanks to Clark Butcher for helping with my bike last night. I can actually shift some gears again and head out on the roads. I foresee some beer coming his way.

I ride a Giant OCR road bike. 2004 model? That sounds about right. Your bike is probably lighter than mine, unless you have steel. Mine is aluminum with a carbon fork. I have heavy spd pedals, no dura ace, etc. For the past year I have combed ebay, read classifieds, and called bike shops in search for a carbon tri bike I could afford. Nada.

The solution: I need to ride more. As Clark put it, I need to ride the shit out of my bike. My bike is great. Two nights ago I counted my total bike hours for the past year and it was very sad. I am surprised I can actually ride a bike to be honest. I don't think the 1 time a week or 1 time a month is going to cut it anymore. Okay, sometimes I would ride more than that-you know, twice a week the week before a race.

I love to ride. I don't love riding in Memphis. I don't like people screaming at me or trying to run me off of the road. I don't like coming home in tears because I almost lost my life to some a-hole that couldn't get to his red light fast enough. I do love riding on the country roads outside of the city. But, I don't always have the time to get out of the city, so I just need to make the bike miles happen. MAKE IT HAPPEN! No excuses, just get out there.

I have decided to spend my tri money (or lack thereof) elsewhere this season. No bike. I have a bike. I have legs too. I just need to ride- and ride with a purpose. My Giant will probably pass some $3,000 bikes this year, and I am excited thinking about that.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Wait a minute - you only got two days a week on the bike and were riding as fast as you were last season!?!? Sweet! I am lacking on the weekday training too. Maybe we can try and join in on Casey's ride on Monday and Wednesday mornings, although 5:15 is a little early for me to be operating anything mechanical.... ;)

Christopher, Amanda, and Babies said...

Nice to read about your tri world!

Thanks for the comments on my blog. My wife and I will be at MIM (Memphis in may) - - - (I am sure I didn't have to tell you what it was!!!) and I will be racing.

I wear our club uni which is a beautifully obnoxious bright orange. Say hello and introduce yourself if you happen to be there.

Irony - I was born in Memphis and you live there and I live here!!!

keep on tri'n!

Damie said...

Chris,
I will definitely say hi. I am doing the relay and will be in a Memphis Thunders suit. I look forward to seeing you!!!!