Sunday, January 27, 2008

Gina V.



Picture 1: Damie and Gina at Tupelo 14.2
Picture 2: Gina's BQ

Yesterday, my friend and running partner Gina "forced" me to run a 5k. Neither of us have raced since 12/1/07, and we have only been to track twice since then. The plan was to cut back running in December and gradually return to training in January. So, I guess it was time for the moment of truth to see where our fitness was and make some plans from there. I was dreading the first race back. I wasn't prepared! I haven't done any speedwork!

Gina is the best sort of friend...positive, accepting, loving, and striving. She is an incredible athlete and person. Many of our PRs are almost exactly the same, so we really make great running partners and friendly rivals. She usually has something very "wise" to say about our running, and she knew I wasn't too thrilled to line up for a 5k when I felt so out of shape. So she said, "we are going to accept whatever our times are." Very zen-like of Gina!

So we lined up for the Lisa Lassandrello 5k on a very cold, slightly wet morning. And I was happy to run! I was ready to accept whatever my time would be. Gina and I both exceeded our expectations. I ran a 21:32 with a very strong 2nd mile and was happy with my effort. Gina and I are both in a better place at the beginning of this year than we were at the beginning of 2007. We now have our beginning of the year, short distance baseline. It is time to get to work!!!

And, in typical fashion, we ran another 12 miles after the race to get 15 miles in for the day. We always have the best conversation. I hope that everyone will have a chance in life to have such a great friendship. Oh, and by the way, Gina is training for Boston. She had her BQ this past December. She is a bad-ass!

No comments: